Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Doug Swink

When I think about the people who helped shape my career in puppetry, a lot of folks come to mind. But three really stand out.


The inimitable Daniel Llords, "one man, two hands," really inspired me as a boy when I saw him perform at Davidson College. His virtuoso performance; his stage crammed with over a hundred marionettes; his cigar-smoking French guy in a sidewalk cafe; are you kidding me? It was completely mind-blowing and set me on this course for life.

Donald Devet, who I worked with for years and years at Grey Seal Puppets, probably did more to influence my current approach to puppetry and puppet theatre philosophy than anyone else.

But the man who to this day puts a tear in my eye when I think about how he helped me so very much wasn't a puppeteer at all. But he did more for me as a person and a puppeteer than I could ever imagine at the time. It's now, in hindsight, that I see the enormity of his investment in me.

His name was Doug Swink, Theatre Professor and amazing Renaissance Man at my Alma Mater, The University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

When I arrived at UNC-Wilmington, full of innocent stupidity and stupid innocence, I went to the Theatre Department and announced to no one in particular that I was a puppeteer and I needed a space to work. The details are a little fuzzy, but I don't believe that the secretary even looked up from her papers; she simply said "go see Doug Swink over at Kenan Auditorium."

So, I did. I made the same announcement to Doug, right there in the lobby of Kenan Auditorium, his preferred place to do his administrating. He stared at me for what seemed an eternity. He twiddled his moustache toy. His blue eyes twinkled. Finally he said, "come with me." I followed him to the second floor where he showed me a vacant faculty office. "Will this do?" he asked.

For the rest of my time at UNC-W I was given this space to use as my own. To this day I find this just so incredible. But it didn't stop there. Doug Swink took me under his wing and tutored me on everything theatre. He critiqued my puppets, he coached my puppeteering and he taught me what constituted a good story.



While at UNC-W I produced two original performances; "A Show of Emotions," and "The Aged Puppeteer." In hindsight these works were pivotal and crucial to my career as a professional puppeteer. Doug Swink guided me through every stage of these pieces with patience, humor and brutal honesty.

Doug Swink was just fantastic. I will never forget him. He made me a better puppeteer. He gave me countless hours of his life and asked only that I do the best work that I was capable of. All the while twiddling his moustache toy, all the while with a twinkle in his eye.

1 comment:

Matthew Bernier said...

I found this post by accident, but I'm glad I read it and I'm very glad you wrote it. How lucky you were to have such a supportive mentor and studio space as well! When I was in college, each semester I registered for a puppetry course and each time I was told it was cancelled because not enough students signed up. To this day, I'm not even sure who the instructor was or if there really ever was one. Fortunately, I had guilds, P of A and lots of puppetry books for resources. Growing up in a house with six siblings and my parents, I never really had enough creative space. I was constantly making puppets or doing other artwork and I was constantly being fussed at for having my works in progress all over the place. I wish I had met someone like Doug Swink at my college! Thanks for sharing him with us! And thanks for posting that great photo! Matthew Bernier