Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Drew's Day Falls Apart


So, there I was; jauntily rolling down 1-440 in Raleigh at 7:15am on my way to St. Raphael's Catholic School for two performances of A Show of Virtues. A crisp, cold, DRY day stretched out before me and I was happy to be alive and to be a puppeteer and not on my way to some cubicle with faux-fabric walls.

Suddenly, my phone rang. It was super nice Kelly O'Brien, our contact from the school. She said that, inexplicably, the school was on a two hour delay. Non-existent wintery weather hysteria had prevailed. Due to the delay, the school day will be compressed and there's no time for the performances. We will have to reschedule.

I have performances here in Raleigh tomorrow of course, so basically I'm here with no shows and a whole day ahead of me.

Am I destined to be trapped in the confines of this hotel room to watch the likes of Dr. Phil and Maury Povich along with the rest of Raleigh's cigarette-dragging, bathrobe-wearing bleary-eyed housewives and house husbands? No I say! I will endeavor to persevere! I have work I can do, I will multi-task the day away! I have a list of libraries I can email about possible Summer Reading Program performances! I have repairs to A Show of Virtues that I can undertake in the ding dang parking lot of this Hampton Inn! It's not too cold for staple guns I say! I have a Schlotzsky's nearby! I will survive!

Besides, I can't stand Dr. Phil.

No comments: